CHIROPRACTIC is a health care science that focuses on the body's innate ability to heal itself. Chiropractic philosophy is deeply rooted in science and neurology, and is bound by one absolute principle: Innate Intelligence. Chiropractic philosophy states that the expression of innate intelligence can be interfered with when subluxation occurs. Chiropractors detect and correct vertebral subluxation through the Chiropractic Adjustment. When the body is free of subluxation and Nervous System Interference, the body can optimally heal itself. The glossary page will help define some of these key terms.
Although it is best known for treating back and neck pain, Chiropractic does not treat any symptoms. Instead of treating the disease, Chiropractic treats the person who has the disease. Symptoms are merely a sign of an underlying problem. Covering a symptom will never correct the cause. Chiropractic has the potential to help a person with any ailment as it's the patient's body that does the healing.
What is Innate Intelligence?
Innate Intelligence is essentially your body's life force. It is the sum of all the automatic processes that occur in your body daily, hour by hour, second by second, without any direct conscious control. For instance, when you eat a meal, your body breaks down what you consumed all the way to the molecular level, determines what parts of your body require what nutrients, and then sends the nutrients where they are needed. Trillions of blood cells carry oxygen to the the other trillions of cells in your body all working together in order for you to perform your best. When you cut your finger, your body heals it for you. When you get scared, your blood vessells dilate, your lungs expand, and your heart beats faster in order to give you a greater chance to survive in a dangerous situation. It is what governs the body's growth from a single cell at conception to trillions of cells at adulthood. It's how an acorn becomes an oak tree. It's what separates the living from the dead. Innate is an automatic knowledge far beyond our understanding that we are all born with. However, "innate" is not a static absolute. Your body's expression of innate can be interfered with via what is called a subluxation.
What is Subluxation?
A subluxation is when a bone, most commonly a vertebra, is "out of place" and irritates the nerve fibers exiting from the same level. "Out of place" refers not just to the static position of the bone, but how it moves along a normal dynamic range of motion.
Subluxation can be caused by three components: traumas, thoughts, and toxins.
Traumas can be anything from a baby falling down while learning to walk to sleeping in the wrong position to a serious motor vehicle accident. Trauma effects are cumulative, which is the reason often a person will have little to no pain despite years of abuse to their body, and then all of a sudden, a slight injury becomes "the straw that broke the camel's back."
Thoughts encompass the mental and emotional stresses we face everyday. When we are under mental stress, our sympathetic nervous system (part of the autonomic nervous system) is excited. Our digestions slows, our sweat glands are stimulated, and our muscles become tense. This can lead to physical changes and imbalances in not just the neuromusculoskeletal system, but the endocrine system as well.
Toxins covers our diet and environmental exposure. Through visceral-somatic reflexes, chemical challenges to our body will directly affect the health of the spine.
What is Nervous System Interference?
When a nerve is irritated, its expression of the signals sent from the brain are affected. These signals, which tell the end organ the nerve runs to (your eyes, your muscles, stomach, intestines, etc.), do not provide the end organ with the full information. It's like being on a phone call with patchy reception. You may eventually get the idea of what the person you're talking to is saying, but you may completely mis-interpret the conversation. If you sever the nerve connection to a muscle, the muscle will atrophy and die. It cannot live without stimulation by the nervous system.
Only 10% of the nerve fibers in your body carry pain signals. The other 90% could be compromised by vertebral subluxation and you would still be pain free. Pain is not a requisite for disease. In order for your body to have pain, you have to have tissue damage.
Some commonly treated conditions include :
- Auto accidents
- Back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Disc disorders
- Frozen shoulder
- Neck pain
- Pain (acute & chronic)
- Pinched nerve
- Plantar fasciitis